photo about_zps9b9a046a.png  photo before_zps57f47fad.png  photo Untitled_zps486d62b9.png  photo recipes_zps93a1c386.png  photo tutorials_zps7aa74d09.png

March 8, 2012

Family Room Corner

This corner of our family room is something I set up a few months ago but for some reason I never got around to photographing it until now.

You might remember from this post that I really wanted to get an old classroom map for our house. Well most of them were either out of my price range or a little too worn out for my taste.   I found this one on eBay for about $4.   I loved the price, that is was large (but not too large) and that the colors went perfectly with the room.

Once I had the map in hand, I simply glued it to an old roller shade (left from the previous owners) with a coat of Modge Podge.  I had hoped to keep it on the roller to make it look more like the pull down version I coveted but we couldn't figure out a way to do it that wouldn't make it fall every five seconds.  So I ended up just cutting the top portion off and making to small holes to hang on hooks.

After it was up on the wall for a few days I decided that the top had too much white space so I used a roll of grayish green and white polka washi tape to spell out HELLO WORLD.  The Native American on horseback sculpture is on loan from my parents (although he had been living in their attic for at least the last ten years) so I think he's pretty much mine.  My grandfather brought this back from a trip to Montana over 25 years ago.  I really like how his pose and the words go together!

The NJ and NY prints were Christmas gifts from me to Scott and I this year - the states we are both from respectively.  The small lamps were Target finds, they work really well colorwise and the shades are oblong so they are set back on the table and don't take up much space. 

Lastly, what I thought was a cool abacus is actually a vintage score keeper that I picked up at a yard sale for $.50.  And the table was on super sale at Pottery Barn a few years ago so we bought this and the matching side table for less than $500!

Oh, and here are a few of the latest creatures to take up residence in our family room bookshelf.


Amazing how a bit of glitter and glue can make plain plastic toys glamorous!

Pin It

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...